Monday, February 15, 2010

My Jeep

Anyone who knows me fairly well is aware of my Jeep obsession. Since I couldn't think of anything else to write about, you (the unfortunate reader) get to hear the heart-wrenching tale of AMC vehicle restoration.



Ah, where to begin... Probably at the beginning. That's as good a place as any.



It all began about eight or nine years ago. I was a young, bright eyed man with a pocketful of dreams. I was looking around at old vehicles on collector car trader online, and there it was. A 1955 Willys M38A1. The same jeep that guy from MASH mailed home one piece at a time. I was in love, and $800 later the beast was mine.



I think I lucked out on that jeep. It needed a new wiring harness, and the clutch needed to be reassembled, but all the parts were there and I was able to get it running with absolutely no mechanical experience whatsoever. Ah, the times I had with that jeep. It was awesome. The only thing is, I don't have any pictures of it. I was too poor to afford a camera, a painter, or someone to chisel the scenes of off road bliss on a stone wall for posterity. But I digest.

I ended up having to sell the jeep. There were two reasons for this: 1) I broke it and didn't know how to fix it, and 2) I had no money to buy a wedding ring for Amanda. It was marryin' season, and you have to have jewelry to make that happen. So I got rid of it. It was like selling one of my children (which I tried to do recently when I ran short of money, and it's WAY illegal). Anyways, I made Amanda aware of my nuptual sacrifice, and put forth the following proposal:


The Derek Wamsley / Amanda Judd Prenuptual Agreement
Derek gets to buy a CJ-5 in the future and has carte blanche to spend as much as he wants to restore it to his standards.
That was pretty much it. And trust me, it has cost me PLENTY to get that rusty tub o' turds built up into the ripsnortin' testosteronemobile that it is today. I'll be writing the biography of Hogan II in blogs to follow.

2 comments:

  1. Dude, I think I have a picture of that old jeep. That's the one you, Josh and Steven went riding in the desert that one time right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! That jeep was the best thing that ever happened to me. Could you e-mail me a picture of it?

    ReplyDelete